It's so hard for my kids to be invited to a birthday party and pass on the cupcakes, but when they give in and eat them, they end up feeling terrible. These cupcakes are not only fun and tasty, but they are inspired by the cupcake from Five Nights at Freddy's. Sadly, I forgot how best to make icing that is not full of junky ingredients, so the icing did not turn out too pretty, but it was still delicious! These cupcakes are gluten and refined sugar free, but they are still moist and chocolaty. Enjoy!
Makes about 5 large cupcakes or 10 regular sized cupcakes.
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
3 1/2 oz. dark chocolate, melted (to keep it paleo, get the best dark chocolate you can afford)
1/2 cup honey
1 cup strawberry puree
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
2 Tbs. coconut milk
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup coconut milk, cold
1 Tbs. beet juice
1/4 cup honey
6 Tbs. coconut oil
1/4 cup ghee
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use silicon cupcakes wrappers, or grease a muffin tin.
2. To Make Cupcake: Thoroughly combine coconut flour, sea salt, and baking soda.
3. Add in coconut oil, eggs, dark chocolate, honey, strawberry puree, vanilla, and coconut milk. Mix well.
4. Fill cupcake cups about 2/3's of the way full.
5. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes (this will largely depend on what size cupcake you make) or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center of the cupcake and come out clean.
6. To Make Icing: Add coconut oil and ghee to microwave safe bowl. Heat on low for about 30 seconds. Check. Continue to microwave on low at 10 second intervals until melted. Do not boil.
7. Add beet juice, coconut milk, and honey while whisking. Once it is smooth, place in the refrigerator while cupcakes cool (about 15 minutes).
8. Mix icing once more. Ice cupcakes. This is more of a glaze than a frosting, so the icing will melt into the cupcakes, making them even more moist and delicious.